Zoni Tokyo Style (東京風雑煮)
Zoni is Traditional Japanese soup with rice cakes and vegetables, which we eat for New Year’s breakfast. Each region has each Zoni. My recipe is Tokyo style as Tokyo is my mum’s hometown.
(for 4 servings)
- 1.2 L Dashi broth (See this page to prepare Dashi broth.)
- 120 g chicken thigh (without skin) with 1 tsp soy sauce and 1 tsp cooking Sake
- 50 g carrot
- 50 g Daikon radish
- 4 small taros
- 4 Shiitake mushrooms
- 5 cm kamaboko
- 2 bunches Japanese mustard spinach
- Edible clovers for topping (optional)
- Yuzu peel for topping (optional)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce : (A)
- 1 tbsp mirin : (A)
- Salt for taste
- 4 – 8 pieces of square mochi
- Cut the Daikon and the carrot into quarter slices. Cut the chicken thigh. Peel the taro’s skin and cut into bite-size chunks. Reconstitute the Shiitake mushrooms and slice them. Slice the kamaboko.
- Boil the Japanese mustard spinach and soak it in cold water. Drain the excess water and cut into 5 cm long.
- Drizzle the soy sauce and the cooking Sake to the chicken.
- Blanch the Daikon. Boil the taro for a few minutes and soak it in cold water.
- Pour the Dashi broth in a pan. Put the Daikon, the carrot, the taro, and the shiitake mushrooms to heat. When it boils, add the kamaboko and the chicken to cook until the chicken becomes soft and the vegetables are cooked.
- Add the condiments (A) and the salt to taste.
- Put the baked mochi in a bowl and pour the soup. Add the Japanese mustard spinach, the edible clovers and the yuzu peel.