Sugared Beans (Ama-Natto, 甘納豆)
Sugared beans (Ama-Natto) are totally different from Natto which you know. Peanuts, sweet potatoes and chestnuts are also used to prepare them. I’m going to introduce the recipe for sugared beans using canned red kidney beans. This recipe will help you preparing sugared beans easier and less expensive.
- Canned red kidney beans: 1
- Sugar: 200 g
- Salt: 1/2 tsp
- Water: adjust to suit your needs
- Granulated sugar: adjust to suit your needs
- Drain water of the canned red kidney beans. Then put the beans in a saucepan.
- Add some water to cover the beans. Heat it until it comes to a boil.
- Add 200 g of sugar to the saucepan and shake it gently to dissolve the sugar. Add salt and do the same. Leave the food out overnight to soak the syrup.
- Boil the syrup down over low heat. When the syrup is boiled down, spread to a vat.
- Dry the beans in the shade overnight.
- Roll them in granulated sugar.