The texture is crispy but sticky. Soy sauce soaks into the simple onigiri (rice ball) and savoury smell spreads in your nostrils.
(for 2 servings)
- 360 g Freshly cooked rice
- A proper amount of mixture of soy sauce and mirin (soy sauce : mirin = 2:1) (onigiri sauce)
- Sesame oil for greasing
(cooking time: less than 20 mins)
- Wet your hands with water so that the rice won’t stick. Make sure not to use salt because the onigiri will be seasoned by soy sauce later.
- Place the cooked rice and hold it between your palms.
- Form the rice into a round or a triangle by pressing lightly with your both palms.
(I used a cling film so that the onigiri keeps clean.)
- Grease the sesame oil on a frying pan then heat it.
- Place the onigiri on the frying pan and grill both sides over medium heat for a few minutes.
- Brush the onigiri sauce over each side of the onigiri and grill each side until crispy over low heat.
- Serve on a plate and your grilled onigiri is ready!