Taro Potatoes with Starchy Soy Sauce (Satoimo Ankake, 里芋のあんかけ)
Ankake is a starchy sauce, basically soy flavoured. It’s the best sauce for a cold winter day. You can use this sauce for simmered daikon radish, too.
- 400 g taro potatoes
- 150 g ground meat (chicken or pork)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce : (A)
- 3 tbsp sake : (A)
- 2 tsp sugar : (A)
- 400 mL dashi broth
- oil for panfrying
- 1 tbsp starch dissolving in 1 tbsp water
- Peel the taro and cut into bite-size chunks.
- Panfry the minced meat in a greased pan until the texture of the meat become separated.
- Add the taro pieces and keep panfrying.
- Add the condiments (A) and the Dashi broth. Cook over high heat until it comes to a boil. Simmer over medium-low heat until the ingredients are cooked.
- Turn the heat off and add the starch dissolved in water to mix it.
- Heat the pan again and cook until the sauce becomes thick.