I have already posted some Sushi recipes.
Here, I would love to introduce how to prepare Sushi rice.
(for 2~3 servings (3~4 servings))
- Uncooked rice: 400 mL (600 mL)
- Water: 400 mL (600 mL)
- Kombu kelp: 5 cm
- (A) Sugar: 3 tbsp (5 tbsp)
- (A) Rice vinegar: 40 mL (60 mL)
- (A) Salt: 2 tsp (1 tbsp)
- Rinse the rice and soak it for about 1 hour.
- Put the rice in a pot or a rice cooker. Pour some water then put the Kombu kelp in it.
- Cook the rice. To learn how to cook rice, check this page.
- Prepare Sushi vinegar. Mix condiments (A) and stir to dissolve the sugar.
- Transfer the cooked rice into a very large bowl. Gently flatten out the rice and then sprinkle the Sushi vinegar evenly over the hot rice. Leave them for 1 minute.
- Combine the rice and the Sushi vinegar using a side-to-side cutting motion followed by a folding motion with a rice paddle. At the same time, you need to use a fan to cool rice. This process helps the excess liquid evaporate quickly, which gives the rice a shine and prevents it from getting mushy.
- When each grain is very shiny and the surface is no longer wet and slippery, the Sushi rice is ready. Keep the rice covered with a damp towel until ready to use.