Mackerel Simmered with Miso (Saba Misoni, 鯖の味噌煮)
Traditional simmered fish. With some little tips make mackerel soft and juicy.
- Mackerel fillets: 4
- Sliced ginger: 7~8
- Sugar: 2 tbsp
- Water: 1.5 cups
- Miso paste: 3 tbsp
- Soy sauce: 1 tsp
- Vinegar: 1 tsp
- Rinse mackerel fillets with running water well. Make an incision on the skin side. This process prevents the skin from shrinking and breaking when they simmer.
- Slice a chunk of ginger. Mix miso, soy sauce and vinegar.
- Put the mackerel fillets in a colander, and pour boiling water to remove their smell. Rinse the fillets again with running water.
- Put sliced ginger, sugar and water in a frying pan and heat. When they boil, add mackerel fillets and boil over medium heat for 2~3 minutes with covering a lid.
- Remove the lid and dissolve miso mixture with a scoop of broth in a ladle. Pour the miso broth to fillets.
- Drop a piece of aluminium foil directly on the fish to cover it entirely (otoshibuta) and simmer for 7 minutes.
- Remove the aluminium foil and simmer with pouring the broth over the fillets until it becomes thick.
- Now your mackerel simmered with miso sauce is ready. いただきます(Itadakimasu)!