Mitarashi dango is a type of round mochi skewered onto sticks in groups of 3–5 and covered with a sweet soy sauce glaze. This dango is very popular and sold in supermarkets and convenience stores in Japan.
Tofu is used in this recipe and makes the texture of dango soft.
- Shiratamako: 100 g
- Tofu: 150 g
- Water: 100 mL
- Soy sauce: 2 tbsp
- Sugar: 40 g
- Starch: 10 g
- Put shiratamako and tofu in a bowl and knead.
- Prepare boiling water in a large pot.
- Make bite-sized balls with your hands and boil them. When the balls float, keep boiling for another 2 minutes. Scoop and soak them in cold water.
- Pierce four balls on a bamboo skewer.
- Put water, soy sauce, sugar and starch in a saucepan and stir well. Cook over medium heat with mixing with a rubber spatula. When small bubbles pop out from the bottom of the sauce-pan, reduce the heat to low and simmer for another 1 minute to reduce the sauce.
- Coat the dango with sauce. Now your mitarashi dango is ready. いただきます(Itadakimasu)!