Spinach simmered in Dashi Broth (Hourensou Nibitashi,ほうれん草の煮浸し)
Very simple, but you can taste vegetable itself.
- Spinach: 1 bunch
Here I used komatsuna (Japanese mustard spinach), looks like spinach. The name ‘komatsuna’ is from the Japanese komatsuna (小松菜), ‘greens of Komatsu’, a reference to Komatsugawa village where it was heavily grown during the Edo period.
- Fried tofu: 1
- Dashi: 300 mL (or 300 mL of water and 2 tsp of dashi powder. To prepare dashi is check this page)
- Soy sauce: 1 tsp
- Mirin: 1 tsp
- Rinse spinach to remove dirt and cut it into 4 cm long. Cut fried tofu into bite-sized pieces.
- Put condiments in a pan and heat until the liquid comes to a boil.
- When it boils, add spinach and fried tofu. Drop a piece of aluminum foil (otoshibuta) and simmer over medium-low heat for 5 minutes.
- When the broth soaks into the fried tofu, turn the heat off.
- Serve them in a nice bowl. Now your spinach simmered with Dashi broth is ready. いただきます(Itadakimasu)!