Beef bowl (gyudon) is very popular, especially among young men. Savoury and juicy sliced beef served over freshly cooked rice. This recipe is created to make the taste as close as possible to that of Yoshinoya, the most famous beef bowl shop in Japan.
(for 3 ~ 4 servings)
- Thinly sliced beef rib: 300 g
- Onion: 1
- Grated ginger: 1 thumb-size piece
- Soy sauce: 60 mL
- Sake (or white wine): 3 tbsp
- Sugar: 3 tbsp
- Salt: 1 dash
- Cooked rice: 600 ~ 800 g
- Dashi: 2 cups (to learn how to make dashi, check this page: 2 cups of water and 2 tsp of dashi powder can be substitutions.)
- Thinly cut an onion into wedges. Cut sliced beef ribs into bite length.
- Put wedges of onion and dashi in a saucepan. Simmer them until they become a little softer.
- Add soy sauce, sugar and sake into a saucepan. Add the beef and mix them. After mixing, cover the saucepan with a lid. Simmer it over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Add grated ginger and simmer for an additional minute. Then add more condiments if needed.
- Serve over freshly cooked rice. Now your beef bowl is ready. Itadakimasu!