When it comes to karaage, you might imagine Japanese-style fried chicken.
Today, I will introduce flatfish karaage in izakaya-style (Japanese pub style).
- Flatfish (flounder)
- Starch: Adjust to suit your needs
- Black pepper: Adjust to suit your needs
- Salt: Adjust to suit your needs
- Lemon: 1
- Oil: (for deep frying) liberal amount
- [TIPS] How to clean the fish.
- Scale the fish. Cut the head off.
- Sprinkle salt and leave them for 10 minutes.
- Blanch the fish in hot water and rinse in cold water. Remove scales and guts.
- Sprinkle salt and soak in cooking sake or white wine for 30 minutes. After draining the water, you can keep them in a freezer.
- Make a cut from nape to tail along the backbone. Slide the knife along the side. Be careful not to cut off the fillet. Do it on both sides.
- After draining the excess water from the fish put it in a plastic bag with starch and black pepper.
- Dust the fish with the starch. Be sure to dust inside of the fish.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan. Deep fry them over medium heat for 6 minutes on each side.
- Drain the excess oil and fry the fish for another 2 minutes.
- Garnish karaage with a lemon. Now your kara-age is ready. いただきます (Itadakimasu)!