Takoyaki is a Japanese ball-shaped snack. Usually, we use takoyaki makers to make takoyaki, but this recipe shows how to make them without takoyaki makers. It’s much more takoyakish than we think!
- All-purpose flour: 100 g
- Potato starch: 30 g
- Baking powder: 1.5 Tsp
- Water: 400 mL
- 1 Egg
- Soy sauce: 1 Tsp
- Sugar: 1 Tsp
- Dashi powder: 1 tsp (optional)
- Salt: 1 dash
- Cabbage: 3~4 leaves
- Green onion: as much as you want (optional)
- Boiled octopus: approximately 150 g
- Toppings: optional, see the process
- Takoyaki sauce, mayonnaise, aonori and katsuobushi: as much as you want
- Cut boiled octopus into bite-sized chunks. Chop all vegetables into small pieces.
- Put flour, potato starch, baking powder and dashi powder in a bowl. Mix them.
- Pour half of the water (200 mL) in the bowl and mix them.
- Add the rest of water, egg, soy sauce and sugar. Mix them all together.
- Add the chopped vegetables to the bowl and mix them.
- Grease a frying pan and heat it. When it becomes hot, pour the batter in.
- Place boiled octopus, and heat over medium heat with a lid for 3 minutes.
- Uncover the lid. Flip the takoyaki over without hesitation!
- Keep heating over medium-high ~ high heat for 3 minutes, uncovered.
- Serve on a plate and souse condiments and sprinkle katsuobushi and aonori. Now your takoyaki is ready. いただきます( Itadakimasu)!