Simmered pork and potato (Nikujaga, 肉じゃが)
Most of the girls learn how to cook Nikujaga from their mums in Japan.
I didn’t though, but I manage to cook this dish… Coz I am Japanese!
You don’t need even one drop of water to cook this dish.
- 4 ~ 5 potatoes (500 g)
- 3 onions
- 1 carrot
- 200 g of thinly sliced pork (if any, otherwise minced pork)
- 200 g of shirataki (konnyaku noodles)
- 1/2 tablespoon of oil
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 6 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons of sugar
- Cut the potatoes into bite-size chunks. Cut the onions into wedges. And cut the carrot into random pieces. Boil the konnyaku noodles for about 5 minutes and drain water. Cut them into bite-length.
- Heat the oil in a pot and fry the onion for 2 minutes. Add the carrot and the potatoes and keep frying. Put the meat and the konnyaku noodles over them. Add the soy sauce and the sugar. Then, cover with a lid. Don’t mix them now.
- Turn down the heat to medium-low heat and simmer for 15 minutes with the lid. 15 minutes later, open the lid and mix all ingredients in the pot.
- Simmer with the lid again for 8 ~ 10 minutes over medium-low heat until the potatoes are cooked. Open the lid and add some butter.
- Serve in a nice bowl. Now your Niku-jaga is ready! いただきます!