When I was a little girl, my mum used to cook this Gomoku chirashi-sushi on Hinamatsuri day (ひな祭り), March 3rd. Looks colourful, but these coloured ingredients are optional.
- Carrot: 1/2 (approximately 70 g)
- Dried shiitake mushroom: 4
- Freeze-dried tofu: 2
- Lotus root: 50 g
- Deep fried tofu: 2 pieces
- [*A] Dashi: 300 cc (to learn how to make dashi, check this page.)
- [*A] Soy sauce: 2.5 tablespoons
- [*A] Sugar: 3 tablespoons
- [*A] Liquid after soaking shiitake mushrooms: 3 tablespoons
- Egg: 1
- Boiled prawn: 6
- Sakura denbu (mashed and seasoned fish with white flesh, optional)
- Snow peas: Adjust to suit your needs (boiled, optional)
- Rice: 700 g
- Water: 700 cc
- Vinegar: 80 cc
- Sugar: 5 tablespoons
- Salt: 2 teaspoons
[Ingredients and toppings]
- Slice boiled prawns into halves.
- Soak shiitake mushrooms and freeze-dried tofu to reconstitute them. If you have a microwave oven, microwave shiitake mushrooms and water for 3 minutes and leave them 15 minutes at room temperature.
- Cut a carrot and some freeze-dried tofu into thin strips. Slice shiitake mushrooms. Slice lotus root into quarter circles. Soak the lotus root in vinegared water to remove bitterness. Then drain the vinegared water.
- Keep 3 tablespoons of the liquid after soaking shiitake mushrooms.
- Put [*A] in a pot and add carrot, shiitake mushrooms, freeze-dried tofu, lotus roots and deep-fried tofu in the pot. Boil down over medium heat while sometimes mixing.
- Beat the eggs. Heat a frying pan. Grease it with a few drops oil. Spread the beaten egg over the pan and cook over medium-high heat. Slice the cooked egg into thin strips.
- Prepare warm rice. To learn how to cook warm rice, check this page.
- Dissolve sugar and salt in vinegar and add to the warm rice. Mix them gently.
- Add the simmered ingredients to the rice and mix them gently.
- Serve in a bowl. Sprinkle sliced egg and denbu. Sprinkle boiled snow peas and prawns.
- Now your Gomoku chirashi-sushi is ready! いただきます!