Red-and-White Salad (Kohaku Namasu, 紅白なます)
Kohaku Namasu is a New Years’ dish in Japan. A colour combination of red and white is considered celebratory in Japan. My mum used to cook a huge portion of Kohaku Namasu and store in a big jar. It lasts nearly 2 weeks.
- 1/4 of Japanese radish (大根)(otherwise a radish)
- 1/2 of carrot (80 g)
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 3 tablespoons of rice vinegar (if any, otherwise normal vinegar is ok)
- Cut radish and carrot into fine strips.
- Rub salt in cut radish and carrot. And leave it for 10 minutes.
10 min. later. All ingredients are shrunk.
- Drain water. Season sugar and vinegar and mix them.
- Store in a jar and refrigerate it for at least 30 minutes.
- Serve in a nice small bowl. Now your Kohaku Namasu is ready! いただきます!