How to Cook Rice Japanese Style (白米の炊き方)
This recipe should have been the first recipe on my blog. Let’s go back to basics!
- 450 g of sushi rice (short-grain rice)
- 620~640 cc of water
- Prepare water in a bowl, and put some rice into it. Mix them from the bottom, throw out the water immediately. It’s very important to follow steps.
- Rinse the rice by stirring the bowl gently about twenty times. Then throw out the water. Rinse it 2 more times. And soak it for about 30 minutes until it becomes opaque white. Then, drain the water.
- Prepare some water in a saucepan, and place the rinsed rice.
- Cover with a lid and heat the pan over medium heat until it boils. Don’t take off the lid while the rice is cooking — this lets the steam out and affects the cooking time. When it boils, simmer for 3 minutes
- Turn the heat down to medium-low and simmer for about 3 minutes: Turn the heat down to low and simmer again for about 6 minutes.
- After simmering for a total of 10~12 minutes, open the lid a little and check if moisture is absorbed.
- When all moisture is absorbed, heat the pot for about 15 seconds. Then turn off the heat and let it sit for 10 minutes, covered. Now, your rice is ready! 🙂 いただきます！