Freeze-dried Tofu Simmered in Seasoned Broth(Koya-Tofu no fukumeni, 高野豆腐の含め煮)
I love tofu. But freeze-dried tofu attracts me more. Really want to say “Thank you!” to the inventor of it.
- 2 tubs of freeze-dried Tofu
- 1 carrot
- 4 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 4 snow peas (optional)
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of cooking sake
- 2 tablespoons of mirin (otherwise 2 tablespoons of cooking sake and 0.5 tablespoons of sugar)
- 2 teaspoons of sugar
- 1.5 cups of dashi (To make dashi, check this page.)
- Soak freeze-dried tofu in water until it swells up to about 3~4 times its original size. Reconstitute dried shiitake mushrooms. To reconstitute dried shiitake mushrooms, microwave them for 3 minutes, and leave them for about 15 minutes. It’s easier and better if you have one.
- Cut the shiitake mushrooms into halves. Chop a carrot into random shapes. Cut the freeze-dried tofu lengthways then cut them in fours.
- Put dashi, soy sauce, cooking sake, mirin, and sugar in a pot and heat until it boils. Add shiitake, freeze-dried tofu and carrot in the pot and simmer over low heat until the carrots become soft.
- Serve in a bowl. You can optionally add some boiled snow peas. Now your Koya-Tofu no fukumeni is ready! いただきます!