How to make Dashi (Japanese soup stock, 出汁)
Basic soup stock in Japan is amazingly easy to make. Use Dashi for various Japanese dishes.
- 6 cups of water
- 15 cm of square koｍbu kelp
- 40g of dried bonito flakes
- Wipe off the dirt and dust from the kombu kelp with paper towels.
- I used teabags today. You can get this item at 100 yen shops. Put some bonito flakes in the teabags.
- Put some water in a jar. Soak the kombu kelp and the bonito flakes in the water. Store in a fridge overnight.
Before soaked After soaked
- Remove the kombu kelp and the bonito flakes.
- Use the dashi for any types of dishes. Now your dashi is ready!
- Put the dashi in an ice tray. The iced dashi can be stored in a freezer for about 2 weeks.